This is an application for a tax rebate under City of Mississauga By-Law 0056-2010. A rebate of $400.00 is provided to qualified applicants.
1. An eligible person may apply if they are:
(a) 65 years of age or older and in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) authorized under Part II of the Old Age Security Act (Canada); or
(b) eligible for and in receipt of an allowance, benefits, or income support as a disabled person or as a person with a disability under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act.
2. An owner is an eligible owner for the purpose of the By-law if:
(a) the owner or the spouse of the owner is an eligible person; and
(b) the person has been an owner for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the application.
3. A property is an eligible property for the purposes of the By-law which or of which:
(a) for the purposes of the Assessment Act, is classified in the residential or farm property class; and
(b) is the “principal residence” within the meaning of the Income Tax Act (Canada), of an owner of the property or of the spouse of an owner; and
(c) every owner is either an eligible person or the spouse of an eligible person.
4. A “spouse” has the meaning provided under Part III of the Family Law Act, being either two persons who are married to each other, or if not married, have cohabited:
(a) continuously for a period of not less than three years or
(b) within a relationship of some permanence if they are the parents of a child as set out in Section 4 of the Children’s Law Reform Act.
NOTE: For GIS recipients T4A (OAS) slip must be submitted with your application. Example: For the 2018 application year, the 2017 T4A (OAS) slip is required.
Where the property is owned by more than one individual, where an owner is not a spouse, that individual must qualify for the rebate on their own merit as an eligible person.
Applications must be submitted by December 31st of each year.
• No more than one application may be submitted for a property.
• An application cannot be submitted by an owner/eligible person for more than one property per year.
• The rebate when approved will be credited to the applicant’s property tax account without interest.
• Late payment charges that have been applied to the applicant’s property tax account in advance of the rebate having been credited to the account will not be cancelled, reduced or refunded.
Application forms and supporting documents may be submitted:
- By Mail to Mississauga Taxes, 300 City Centre Drive, 4th Floor, Mississauga ON L5B 3C1
- In-Person 300 City Centre Drive, Ground Floor Cashiers or 4th Floor, Customer Service – Property Taxes
- By Email to email@example.com
- By Fax to (905) 615-3972
The deadline for submitting an application is December 31st of the current taxation year. Should there be a sale within the year of the application, please contact the Citizen Contact Centre to provide a new mailing address.
Applicant(s) in receipt of the Tax Rebate will automatically qualify for the Stormwater Charge Subsidy. Single Family Homes will receive the Subsidy on the Region of Peel Water/Wastewater/Stormwater bill. Condominiums will have a separate cheque mailed to them from Environmental Services at the City of Mississauga. For additional information, please contact the Citizen Contact Centre as follows:
Information for this page was sourced from https://www.mississauga.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/03110452/Tax-Rebate-Program-Application.pdf Megan Scott is not responsible for the accuracy of this information. Information may change without notice